The Department of Biochemistry is committed to cutting-edge research and to offering an outstanding biochemistry curriculum compliant with international standards. Our laboratories are located at the Irchel Campus in Zurich.
Dedicated to Biomolecular Structure and Mechanism
- to excel in structural biology, biochemistry, and biophysics
- to advance our understanding of fundamental biological processes and mechanisms at the molecular level
- to provide excellent teaching
- to educate and train the next generation of leaders in the field
- to encourage translational research and collaborations with clinical researchers and industry for biomedical applications
Our research is focused on the functional investigation of biomolecular mechanisms using biophysical, biochemical, and structural approaches. Currently, the department hosts six research groups and houses excellent infrastructure for biomolecular research. Thanks to the development of new technologies and the subsequent acquisition of patents relevant for biomedical applications, several spin-off companies have evolved from the department.
Our department provides education in biochemistry for science and medical students, as well as for PhD students and postdoctoral fellows. Our training ranges from lectures and seminars to practical courses and individual research project coaching. Our aim is to prepare our students for successful academic or other professional careers.
- between 170 and 190
- about 50% are postdoctoral fellows and Ph.D. students
- about 50% are women
- more than 60% are from abroad
- more than 60% of our funding is based on external grants
- major sources of funding are the Swiss National Science Foundation, the European Research Commission, Private Foundations and Companies
- total expenses in 2021: > 14 Mio. CHF