Ilian Jelezarov was born in Bulgaria and studied Biochemistry at the University of Sofia. He conducted his Ph.D. thesis at the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Zurich. He then carried out research projects at the Center for Structural Biochemistry, Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, and at the Biocalorimetry Center, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. After his habilitation in 2001, he pursued independent research in the fields of macromolecular recognition, protein stability and protein folding. Since 2011, he dedicates his major efforts to teaching and leads a biocalorimetry unit in support of internal and external projects.
Ilian is teacher of the year 2013 of the Medical Faculty UZH.
Ilian Jelezarov is responsible for the co-ordination of the following modules:
Biochemical and Biophysical Methods (BCH306), Research Project (BCH408), MSc Thesis (BCH501) and MSc Final Exam (BCH502).
You can listen to him in lectures:
- Binding equilibria (part of the lecture course Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, BCH306, for Science students)
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Protein Folding (part of the lecture course Protein Biophysics, BCH304, for Science students)
- Energy Metabolism (part of lecture Biochemistry for Science students and Molecular Cellular Biology for Human Medicine students)
- Regulation and Coordination of Metabolism (for students of the curriculum Human Medicine)
- Biochemistry of Hormones (for students of the curriculum Human Medicine)